rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

89 YJ choke sticks on so it allows the choke plate to get

Customer Question

89 YJ choke sticks on so it allows the choke plate to get sucked chosed
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 89 YJ Carter carb
JA: What year is your Jeep?
Customer: even when running great the choke plate never opens fully
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes if I move the rod up and down on the choke plate I can get it to run fine all day however the choke plate never fully open ( vertical it stays about a 3/4 inch open. Then the next mooning the choke plate will very often close while the vehicle is warm causing no idle
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: 72,000 4,2
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

Check the linkages first for free movement. Check the choke spring for being set too tight, and check to see that there is power to the spring so it heats up.

Thanks, Ron