Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech

I have wj 1999 jeep grand cherokee limites 4.7 v8. I have

Customer Question

I have wj 1999 jeep grand cherokee limites 4.7 v8. I have two things that are currently wrong. Number one. I have a knocking noise coming from underneath my engine, between engine and gearbox (think that's it). I have tried flushing engine and replacing oil with species jeep oil (no luck), removed tapped covers and it seems as though all hydraulic lifters are perfect and pumping oil. (So not the problem). I was advised to maybe check the flex plate before doing anything drastic). Just also must let you know that the cylinder head was re done. Only about 700km ago and it only started the, but drives perfect. Question number 2, is that when my jeep is warmed up after driving it around, it starts to stall while in drive, but when I put her in park. She idles perfect. Help would be appreciated. Riaan
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hello Riaan and welcome to just answer. I do see issues with the flex plates cracking or the bolts that attach it to the torque converter get loose so check that. The other issue with the stalling in gear is most likely a torque converter that is getting caught up and stuck in a lock up mode. That can cause an abrupt stalling in gear. Bothe of these problems would require removing the gearbox to diagnose and repair. If you do pull the gearbox, replace the filter and fluid in it because debris from the failing torque converter can clog up the filter.

I hope this information helps, and if you need further assistance, please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hello? ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Chris. Sorry for the late reply, for some reason I couldn't access the reply tab. So you don't think there could be a rod knock. Also the jeep only cuts out when it's warm and idling. Changes gears beautifully and idles perfect in park. Is there not an access panel by the starter motor that I could check the bolts are fastened. Apologies for all the questions. Your previous answer was a bit vague
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Well there is an access plate on the front of the bell housing that can be removed so you can check the bolts on the flex plate. It gould be a rod knock, but I say check those but bolts first. And then get back to me.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Chris. Will do, could you please wait till this coming weekend. I am just going to remove lifters and clean them and out them back in and will have a look at a cess panel. What cleaning solution is good to clean those lifters. I heard something like a brake cleaner or so
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Sounds good Riaan. I recommend not pulling the lifters and cleaning them. If you want to clean them, then add a can of Sea Foam or another oil treatment to the oil. If you suspect a lifter noise, and the oil additive does not work, then replace them. But check the flex plate first.

Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

How is it going Riaan?