Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

Jeep liberty diesel 2005,spent 4000 on it in repairs still

Customer Question

jeep liberty diesel 2005,spent 4000 on it in repairs still doesnot run.try to start air goes bk through the air filter and wont start
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.Would you mind elaborating on what the mechanics did so I can be of better assistance?Also how did this problem start? All of a sudden? Had repairs done then started? Or gradually got worse and worse till wouldn't start?Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
started with repair of water pump,also changed timing chain,then from there keep getting worse,more blk smoke bad fuel milage,then no power,then died,then went to next mechanic,cam timing off,retimed,then more low power,drove it abit,then bk in everything carboned up,cleaned carbon off egr,and afew things,then drove awhile low power again,drove it to town and bk kept getting worse started banging,now blow air bk through air filter,wont start again
Ok, well that means the first shop removed the cam gears. There are several specialty tools needed to re time this engine. If that was all done correctly but it keeps losing time, like it sound like it is again, then one of two things happened when the original shop removed the gears. The gears were put on two tight thus ruining the taper on them or they were not put on tight enough and hence it keeps falling out of time. The gears are not keyed like normal gears. They fit on the cams by means of a taper. And thus when tightened correctly the bond is super strong.I can send you some instructions as well as links to some video tutorials on how to do it your self. But the special tools are needed. :-/Let me know what you want to doThanks
Sonny
Is this helpful at all?
If it is helpful please rate my help. If you have other questions regarding this problem, feel free to ask.Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
not really,i think there is more wrong at this point made more things go wrong
That's true. But you have to start with the worst part and work up. If you fix all the little things but timing is still off then it'll still not run.
I can send you the information on timing of you like. Or is there something else you want me to help with?
I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny