Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicle

2006 commander dash lights,gauges,blinking and when that

Customer Question

hello, 2006 commander dash lights,gauges,blinking and when that happens no power on wipers switch and turn signal switch. any ideas
Submitted: 4 months ago via Mitchell1DIY.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you ?

any check engine lights ?

how many miles on it

is the car battery draining down over night ,have you noticed?

do you want to do some troubleshoot yourself if necessary or you want me to tell you the most possible cause of this issue

let me know

Chad Farhat ( aka -Customer)

ASE Certified Tech

The head light multi purpose switch in the steering needs checking the one on left hand side of the steering

they are common issue for the problem you are having

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
160,772 miles no draining battery overnight, U1411,implausible fuel volume signal received,U0027 can bus- shorted to bus+ when the dash gauges are blinking there is no power en wiper swith and turn signal switch

oh i see , let me look up the wiring diagram the headlight swicth is controlled by the headlight control module

is there anything you want to add for me as far as any prior work been done that could be related

and I take It all fuses have been checked ?

and i want look your U codes you got at time of failure , we might have a bus problem

I will have to look that up and get back to you , that will take me some time to do that , then i can send the wiring diagram and tell you where we need to check

so if that is okay with you let me know , unfortunately on this there is no one word answer , i do change a lot of the head light switches at my shop ,but u not having power to it is an issue we have to resolve before we can the switch is bad

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok, and after that happens the check engine light stays on, after 10 minutes driving goes off, then I check for codes and only 3 out of 7 are ready on the monitor readings
What are the readiness monitors that are not completing ?Is there car drives any different at that time or just cluster lights going erratics ,on & off.And does cycling the ignition switch reset the issue , or it is constantly on ?Let me know
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it is not constantly on, just the cluster going erratic on & off but engine and trans works perfect

how many times does it do would you say , every time you drive it , or once every few days and it is intermittent

did you notice that stepping on brake make it go erratic or no ?

sorry if i m asking to many questions ,i m just trying to figure out correctly what is going on this could be electrical issue , so might take some back and forth between us

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
nop stepping on the brake make no difference and it goes erratic at any time during the day, even when you first started in the morning, or you can wait a few minutes and it goes blinking for a few seconds and then you can drive for an hour and it goes again erratic.

can you give me till this evening , i m at my shop now , this one i want research it for you a little before i can give you an answer and in the evening I will have more time to do that

so I will post you an answer to what is the most possible cause and the area needs checking before buying parts .

we have a short but is it in the cluster itself, the connector in the back , i seen that before or the body module is going bad intermittently when it gets hot ,wiring issue etc .. ?

few factors , I will let you know

Thank You ***** ( aka -Customer)

ASE Certified Tech