Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified

My '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2l is intermittently idling low

Customer Question

My '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2l is intermittently idling low and stalling. When it stalls its really difficult to start back up even though it cranks. I've recently replaced (since I've had the problem) spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, iac valve, and most recently the throttle position sensor.. what can I do to narrow this down and fix it?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and other repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there, and to be honest with today's electronics a scantool may very well be needed to retrieve the codes or to monitor data to see what's going on...

The first thing you need to do is find out if your loosing spark or fuel psi.. When it stalls see if it sill start with starting fluid and if so then I would replace the fuel pump.. If it still will not start then your likely loosing spark in which I would suspect a bad PCM or bad crankshaft sensor.. if you don't have a scantool then the only thing you can do is try a new crankshaft sensor then move to a new PCM..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry, I haven't been able to get to my jeep. I should be able to look at it tomorrow and once we have a solution I'll rate you. Sorry about the delay.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when I use starting fluid, it won't "start" per se. It does what it normally does in this case, which is turn over for a second (like there's combustion) but then stall instantly.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
After I wait a few minutes (like 5 or so) it starts up just fine.