Robert
Robert, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Certified
49095596

Ok I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the quadratrac1

Customer Question

Ok I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the quadratrac1 4wd system and the nv140 transfer case. I have never messed with an all time 4x4 before so I don't know exactly how to diagnose my problem. When I drive down the road it starts to make a groaning noise the faster I go. If I let off the accelerator the sound goes away, it comes right back as soon as I hit the accelerator. I put the jeep on a lift and hit took out the front driveshaft thinking my problem was from the front. Well with the front shaft out the jeep wouldn't move. I did some research and I think that is normal for this 4x4 system I don't know for sure. I put the shaft back in on the lift and put it in drive. Rear tires run about 10 times faster than the front, again may also be normal. I put the brake on and accelerated and one of the rear tires powered through the load but neither of the fronts did. Again could be normal this is not my area of expertise. Also when the vehicle is in park I can turn all 4 tires by hand one at a time, don't know how that is normal. Please help this is driving me crazy
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

I am researching this concern for you and will get back with you as soon as possible, Thanks for your patience while I gather the information needed for your answer. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok just let me know what you come up with or need to know
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN so that I can do some research on this concern for you?

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5C663804
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent those numbers. Just want to make sure you got them.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

I got the VIN. Thanks. Sorry been offline this afternoon.

Basically, everything that you described with the exception of the noise is considered normal. As for the noise, can you tell if it is coming from the front or the rear? The fact that it comes and goes with acceleration and deceleration leads me to believe that one of the ring and pinions is making noise but you will need to determine if it is front or rear. You may need a chassis ear to determine if front or rear.

If you have any questions about why it does what you were describing, post a specific question and I'll be happy to answer...

Here is an explanation of how the system compensates for traction loss. (Basically Electronic Traction Control)

Quadra Trac 1 Explained

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From what I can hear when I have it on the lift the sound is either coming from the transfer case or the rear end. It's was hard to pinpoint. Definitely doesn't sound like the noise is in the front. I just bought the jeep and the guy said it has a new rear end but I'm wondering if it was just rebuilt and done improperly. Can you think of any reason the transfer case would be making the noise? I just don't want to replace the wrong one and be out a bunch of money
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

From everything you have described, I'm leaning towards a problem with the rear diff, most likely ring and pinion. Transfer case normally doesn't change in sound whether you accelerating or decelerating, ring and pinion can do that. Since you say noise seems to be from the rear I would start leaning towards the rear end. I recommend to remove the cover for inspection. You may find obvious failure in there and be able to fix it..

Thank you,

Robert