Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

My running lamps work but my driver side break light is out,

Customer Question

my running lamps work but my driver side break light is out, I have already changed the bulbs
JA: Have you checked the bulb? Could it be a faulty fuse?
Customer: i just need to know which fuse to check? i don't have an owners manuel as i bought the jeep used
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes if possible
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: changing bulbs. i have a fuse kit i just need the diagram on which fuses control what
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Jeep Mechanic should know about your Jeep?
Customer: there is a recall on the ignition but its working fine
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I have been in the auto repair business for many years and specialize in diagnosing vehicles with problems like this one you are describing. I am confident we can resolve your problem together provided you stick with me and run the necessary tests. Please understand that I don't know your skill level and that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to do my best to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first to make this as simple as possibly for both of us. I just ask that you provide me with the all of the correct information up front and with the most accurate tests results/information as possible as we move on so that I can point you in the right direction. I would also appreciate a positive rating from you in return for sharing my time and knowledge and expeirence with you in a timely mannner. Even if you rate my answer after the first few replies, we can still continue our conversation at no further cost to you. With that being said, lets get started.

Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
im at work right now and cant go get the vin #. i was just hoping to find out what fuse to replace before i drive home tonight
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

It may not be as simple as that. However, I need the year make and model of the vehicle to look up a wiring diagram for your vehicle.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i understand that it may not be the fuse but if that's a quick fix i'll try it. its a 2008 jeep commander the V6
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i need to take it in to have it serviced but if at all possible id like to try to fix it asap so im not driving around until then with a break light out
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for that information. Your next step is to check for power on the white/tan wire going to the drivers rear tail light with the brake pedal depressed. It is possible that you dont have power going back there because of a wiring issue. It is also possible that you have a bad brake light socket or tail lamp assembly. It might just be as simple as that.