Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech

I'm hoping you can help diagnose my issue. 2003' jeep TJ

Customer Question

I'm hoping you can help diagnose my issue. 2003' jeep TJ Wrangler. I have a knocking noise, not exactly sure from where. There is no knock when at idle or higher RPM's in neutral. It is a 5 speed. Now, with a load on the motor there is a knock. The knock increases speed with the speed of the tranny, not the motor RPM's. Any idea where I should start my search?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. If the noise is vehicle speed related and not engine RPM related, then it is most likely a drive shaft/U joint issue so start there. Have the U joints and drive shaft inspected closely. I doubt it is in the transmission itself, but may be transfer case related. If a visual inspection reveals nothing, then have the Jeep put up on a hoist so it can be run in gear while a technician uses a mechanics stethoscope to help pin point the source of the knock.

Hopefully my suggestions will help you narrow this down.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
U joint's are new. I almost want to ask if it's possible my flywheel bolts are loose
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

If flywheel bolts were loose, then the knock would be engine speed related. Run it up on a hoist and use a stethoscope.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm sorry, but for $25.00? Checking my u-joint's and throwing it on a lift is all I get for $25.00?
I mean no disrespect, but I'm going to ask for a refund. I don't feel the basic advice was worth that much.
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

I understand, but I cannot touch, hear or visually inspect the vehicle. You have to be my ears and eyes, etc. I can only suggest what I think it may be. If this were a common problem with TJ Jeeps, then I would tell you what I have seen in the past. I hope you understand and if you want a refund, then I totally understand.