bill, jeep master tech
Experience:  25 years with jeep drivability and electrical expert

Whats a reasonable price pair of front struts on a 2014

Customer Question

Whats a reasonable price for a pair of front struts on a 2014 Compass 4WD, I have a mechanic buddy who will put them on but I have to buy the part and he didn't know off the top of his head
Category: Jeep
Expert:  bill replied 4 months ago.

the standard time for front strut replacement on a compass is 1.5 to 2.0 hours a side (more time will be needed if you are in a rust prone area) PLUS a front end alignment after they are installed, that's IF you get JUST the strut and NOT the complete (strut and spring) assembly(IF available) if you can find a complete assembly (with spring) the time should be around 1.0 hours a side PLUS the alignment.

this site is on the honor system once you are satisfied with the service you rate it, you have already paid to use the site all a rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and that comes out of the fee you paid to use the service

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

What happened was I hit a big pot hole on the freeway and it started making a weird noise and it was looked at and nothing was broken but they said the strut wasn't fitting correctly and the noise only happens on uneven road, the guy is doing it for a flat rate as a friend I'd like to know the cost from average part store as I'm not to car smart and couldn't find it online,or can it be possible that the strut can be re mounted?

Expert:  bill replied 4 months ago.

you asked only for labor, so you need a general price for struts too?

a damaged strut MUST be replaced

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

No I guess I worded my question wrong as I assumed in stating my buddy was a mechanic the labor fee would either be set by his shop or determined by him and also implied when stating I had to buy the part. Thanks any way

Expert:  bill replied 4 months ago.

looks like the only place to get them for a vehicle as new as yours is OR the dealer, and rock auto only shows OEM mopar parts

from rockauto they are 72.00 EACH PLUS shipping and ONLY the strut so the spring and mounting hardware will need to be reused your local dealer will be different in pricing as the dealer can charge whatever they want, you can google mopar parts and most ALL dealers have an online system of parts ordering at wholesale prices BUT you need to add in shipping

i looked into napa o'riellies and advance auto and NONE show struts for your jeep, likely because it's so new

Expert:  bill replied 4 months ago.

i assumed you had a line on struts by teh way it was worded and your friend needed a labor time