Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

I have a problem with my rear brakes on a jeep tj, after

Customer Question

i have a problem with my rear brakes on a jeep tj, after driving for the rear brake pads wont go back to original position and keep holding on the rotor
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

I'd strip the calipers down again and check that the pads are in square and true with no debris in the mounting slots, also inspect the caliper mounting faces for any dents, burrs, or debris which would cause them to be bolted up out of true, also remove the disc and do the same for its mounting face on the upright and inside the disc.

If you still have an issue then it could be a flexible brake line has partially collapsed and is producing a one way valve, this can't always be seen from the outside but you can test to see if there's any residual pressure in that caliper by cracking off the bleed nipple after stamping on the brake a few times

Another possibliity is that one caliper is sticking slightly so the piston isn't retracting on its seals

in which case that caliper will need rebuilding with new seals or replacing

One other thing to try is to remove the master cylinder again and have your assistant push down on the brake pedal to expose the pushrod as it exits the servo

on the end of the pushrod there should be a little adjustment nut

try screwing this in a turn or two and put it all back together

this adjustment takes out free play at the pedal so its better to have a little bit of play rather than too tight

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the caliper is new, the master cylinder was changed and the hydro booster as well.. so could it be a brake line problem?
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

Ok that doesn't leave much else so yes I'd go for that next

Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you