Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

I went out to start my 2K grand cherokee ltd I6 and nothing.

Customer Question

I went out to start my 2K grand cherokee ltd I6 and nothing. Battery is a strong 12V. The vehicle was placed in N and now I have to use the parking brake to keep it from rolling away. Any Ideas?
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Two issues. No start up and jeep rolls away when in park.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Three days ago I had the dash pulled and the A/C evap, dryer and heater core. Drove fine for three days. I parked it last night with no issues and this morning I went out to go somewhere and nothing. My wife said she heard a single click. I've checked the battery and it's strong. I have not checked the solenoid or starter. I did however placed it in drive and now I have to use the parking brake to keep it from going submarine into the lake. Where do I start?
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Start by removing the starter relay (in the under hood fuse box) Then look on the relay and locate terminals # ***** and #87. See where those 2 terminals plug in the relay box. Now get a jumper wire and jump cavity # ***** to # ***** If the starter is good the engine should crank. Let me know if it does.

Chris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What about the inability to keep the vehicle in Park? Will it start while not officially in Park even though the the stick is in Park?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's not the starter or solenoid the jumper btwn #30 and #87 got the starter going fine. Changed the same relay out with another with the same info and it didn't work.
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.

Ok, if you turn on the ignition, and jump 30 to 87, will the engine actually start and run?

Chris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
but what's up with the transmission. I put it in P,R N 1,2 it drives forward.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I would rather type as I'm about to be car poor. thanks anyway.
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.

Hmmm, I bet the transmission cable came off of the lever on the left side of the transmission. Check tgat next.

Chris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How do I get to it? In side or outside?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Chris, you still there?
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.

Underneath the vehicle, left side. Have someone move the shift lever so you can see the cable move. Then you will be able to see if it is moving the lever. Get the Jeep safely up on jack stands so you can see it.

Let me know what you find.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.

Hello, just checking back to see how it is going with the Jeep. Let me know if you still need help.

Please note: If I have been at all helpful, please help me and rate using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!