George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

How do I take the shift level out so as to realign the dogs.

Customer Question

hi: how do I take the shift level out so as to realign the dogs.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Jeep. The Jeep Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: i am having trouble with getting the shift level out. i have used a screw driver to rotate ball around the shift without success.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: to get the shift level out.
JA: Is there anything else the Jeep Mechanic should be aware of about your Jeep?
Customer: no.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  George H. replied 9 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

What is the year, model and engine size of your Jeep?

I see you opened a new question with the information I asked for. Just reply here

Can you post pictures of the ball area?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no, i cannot supply picture.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
are we still in touch?

OK, you need to pull the shift tower on this one to get the shift lever off to reach the notches in the shift rail. Line the notches up and the transmission will be in neutral

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
when you say, "pull the shift tower" do you mean take the top off the transmission or take out the shift lever? how do I just take out the shift lever. can I line-up the notches from the shifters' opening?

Yes, the lever comes out with the shift tower, once you lift it you will see the "finger" on the end of the shift lever that moves the shift rods.

Once you have the tower off you can use a large screwdriver to move the shift rods so all the notches line up and that is neutral and where you install the finger and tighten the shift tower. The lever does not come out the top.