Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

91 Jeep W YJ keeps acting like it running out of

Customer Question

91 Jeep W YJ keeps acting like it running out of gas..sputterting. Replaced the fuel filter, brain, fuel pump...
JA: So many things can cause fuel pump issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Not sure what more to say! Unable to drive my Jeep. It may run fine for 10 min, or 2 min, then boggles down & act like I just ran out of gas. Sometimes it dies in the middle of the road, sometimes & can restart it. Don't matter if she's cold or hot.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: We tried; however, many of other we know with same issue had mechanic's assisted & it just cost the more money to no avil...your thoughts
JA: Is there anything else the Jeep Mechanic should be aware of about your Jeep?
Customer: Not that I know could use a new fuel wiring harness. During some intake manifold issues, it
burnt some wires years ago.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
shortly after reaching operating temp...warmer the outside temp, quicker it sputters like it's out of gass...
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. What size engine do you have?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for that information. Were the tune up parts replaced? Plugs, wires cap and rotor? What about the ignition coil? How about the camshaft position sensor? What about the crankshaft position sensor?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
we are awear of what may need replaced; however, before we replace that and every sensor....WHAT to tell which one...How to tell if a part is no longer at working capacity. What do you recommend & in what order, before we spend another 200.00 + on wrong need to narrow it DOWN plz
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.

YES, I can. You will need to check for spark and fuel pressure WHEN this problem occurs. We need to figure out of the problem is fuel or ignition related

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We have presure; however I have to go for now. I'll get back to you on this later tonight. Thank you for you time spent on thisCustomer...
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.

Your welcome! I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

You can always post back later at no further cost even after you rate my answer.