Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

I am a life-long professional technician. I am working on a

Customer Question

I am a life-long professional technician. I am working on a 1998 Wrangler 2.5, 5sp. Code p1391. Relpaced CKP&CMP w/Mopar units. Have ohmed out wiring, inspected connectors, checked 5v reference and ground. No problems found. Suspect faulty PCM. Any thoughts?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Do you happen to have the wiring diagram?
Customer: 146k(?), and have the PCM diagram laying in the floor of the Jeep at the shop. Haven't gone as far as to test all related (common ground and 5v) sensors. Jeep runs fine, no skipping or hesitation, sets code on 2-trip (10 seconds or so after second start.)
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: That's what I get paid to do. Automotive technician since 1980.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Jeep Mechanic should know about your Jeep?
Customer: Has 600 miles on new engine. Tried new distributor, knew it wouldn't help because the old one is in good condition. Will be checking deeper into harness at ground splices, inspecting sensor connections for fluid/moisture. Thought you may have run across a hard-to diag problem like this.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer. The distributor may be out of sync a little. Read this Star case I found. Chris.