sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 98 Grand Cherokee, The other day i was idling in

Customer Question

I have a 98 Grand Cherokee, The other day i was idling in the parking lot. I heard a popping sound. I lost power to my turn signals, brake lights, Interior lights, Radio, Power seats. I have checked all the fuses and they look good.
JA: Have you checked the bulb? Could it be a faulty fuse?
Customer: I checkd bulbs, i have led in the back for tail lights and only half work now.
JA: What year is your Grand Cherokee?
Customer: 98
JA: When was your last tune up?
Customer: not long ago
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes.
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have checked bulbs, and fuses. checked power to the flasher only has power at IGN
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You may have a wiring issue but one or more blown fuses would be more likely, especially considering many of these items are on separate circuits and aren't ignition switch fed components.

Did the popping sound come from inside or outside?
Did it happen as any electrical item was being used?

When you checked fuses did you check the junction block as well as the power distribution center?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sounded like from the inside. I have checked all the fuses inside and out, none are blown. I was parked listening to the radio before I went into work. I know they are on different circuits is why it has stumped me on how it all went out together.

Do you have an incandescent test light?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do.

Do the power locks not work either?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Nope they work. Everything that quit was working too before this happened. If it makes a difference it had a transmission put in a month ago or 5000 miles or so
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It has led tail lights to and projector head lights

Can you locate circuit breaker 3 in the junction block and see if there is power there?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
give me about an hour

Ok.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I added a photo showing them, the top one had no power or didn't light up my test light the other 2 did

Standing by for the photo.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It won't let me add the photo. When your looking at the box from top down its the top one.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Here

Can you check for power at fuse 20 in the junction block?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No power

Can you locate fuse 15 in the power distribution center? It will be a 40 amp. It may be labeled as junction block power or JB power. We need to double check this fuse. The fuse is either blown, it doesn't have power due to an internal power distribution center issue, or there is a broken wire between the fuse and junction block.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I didn't see one labeled that but all the fuses up there light up
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is there anyway to send you pictures even when I get them below 5mb it says thethat are to big. I'll send photos of everything too

You can open them with any photo editor such as Photoshop or even Microsoft Paint and size them down.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did that. I had a 4.45 mb photo didn't send.

On the large fuses there are two small terminals on top of each one. Using a test light do any of these fuses have just one terminal that lights the test light?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Omg I feel dumb I tested just one side on them all when I got to the IOD 40 amp it is blown still test good on one side though. I can't replace until tomorrow to see if it just blows it again

Any fuse that only has power on one terminal is blown. Go ahead and replace any that you find that way and let me know what happens from there. If it blows again then there is a short to ground on the circuit.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I work 3rds it will be replaced by 8am hopefully and we will go from there.

Let me know how it goes!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks it worked just got around to it. Been working alot hopefully it's all I think the blower motor on high is what blew it
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.

Great!