mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

My check engine light is on and the check gas cap message stays

Customer Question

My check engine light is on and the check gas cap message stays on in the driver info center. I changed the gas cap and had the light reset but the check gas cap light stays on and after a few days the check engine light comes back on. Do I have to reset the driver info center to keep the check engine light off or could there be a bigger problem? I have had diagnostics and they swear it is just the gas cap.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: I don't know exactly but both my mechanics say the code indicates a small leak in the exhaust system or something.
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Jeep Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: well I think it may just be a gascap but need to know if I dont reset the driver info system does that make the check engine light come back on after a while
JA: Is there anything else the Jeep Mechanic should be aware of about your Jeep?
Customer: No not really, I take good care of it and love it and do regular maintenance on it and this issue is driving me crazy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  mike switzer replied 6 months ago.
this light comes one when the system senses a small leak in the evap system. on these vehicles if the gas cap has been replaced then the most likely and most common other issue if the purge solenoid on the engine. when the system is reset it will take a bit before it will reset. shops should have done what is called a smoke test to verify this leak. the purge solenoid is hard to detect since it dumps into the intake system so you really wont see if it is leaking or not. and most of the time it is over looked and forgotten about. but i can assure you that this will be your problem. they are relatively inexpensive and easy to change aswell. if you have no further questions i would appreciate if you took a moment to leave me a rating.