sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

When I turn the key it will not start JA: Sometimes things

Customer Question

when I turn the key it will not start
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Jeep. The Jeep Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: ok, I jumped the solenoid and the starter turns.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: jump the solenoid
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Jeep Mechanic should know about your Jeep?
Customer: 2005 jeep wrangler, 23k miles. 6 cyl. 6 speed
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!You may have a few things going on. The powertrain control module may not be awake, there may be a transmission range sensor issue, the problem may be with the ignition switch or actuator, or it may just be a connection issue at the starter. I've seen quite a few problems with corrosion between the wire and crimp on the starter solenoid wire, which will cause either just a click or complete lack of starter engagement.When you first turn the key on does the throttle body do a self test and the fuel pump run?