Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year working in the automotive field as a Tech.

My 94 grand cherokee 5.2 all wheel drive ran fine, then stalled

Customer Question

my 94 grand cherokee 5.2 all wheel drive ran fine, then stalled when put into gear and is not downshifting all the time. now on jack stands, stalls/chugs in gear with brake on, appears not to down shift. put seafoam trans tune in and have run on stands 17 miles over 3 days here and there and run in park about 10 minutes 3 or 4 times. mabe getting worst. am going to now change fluid and filter but is there a shift solnoid or trans module i should be looking into?
JA: Whether it's at the end of the driveway or on the highway, a car stalling can be dangerous. The good news is the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with all kinds of engine issues. How old is the battery? Does the car stall out mainly when going up or down hills?
Customer: battery 3 month old. aggressive lurch then stall when puting into drive or reverse. feels like a manuel transmission when you do not use the cluch when stopping.
JA: Got it. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: fluid was 1 quart low when acted up added fluid to fill line. then put in can of seafoam trans tune, put on jack stands and ran in all gears. per instruction on can. added another 1/2 can and drive on stands, foward and reverse, and let idle in park 10-15 minutes. now prety much chugs/stalls when try to brake. is not down shifting but will downshift with gear shift.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Jeep Mechanic should know about your Jeep?
Customer: 190k
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.In order to determine if the problem you are having is an internal concern or an electronic control issue you are going to need to scan the computer system and see if there are any fault codes setting. If the problem is electronic there should be. If you can get this done and post back with the results I will see if I can help you get this resolved.