Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Wrangler unlimited: In fourth gear only while on the accelerator

Customer Question

In fourth gear only while on the accelerator I will hear a tapping sound coming from under my stick shift. When I let of the sound subsides. I look underneath and only saw a bit a grease that has begun to be slung out of the front axle seal leading into the t case.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 7 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. The first thing I would do is set the parking brake and remove both drive shafts so you can work the U-joints in all angles. Feel for any roughness, sloppy, or hard to turn. If they are fine then reinstall them and get the vehicle on stands and run it in the air to see if it occurs. You may need to drag some break for resistance. If it will occur then listen under the vehicle to try pinpoint this. If its the transmission then I would suspect a shift fork wear bad failing. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris