sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My patriot is stuck in park JA: Sometimes things that you

Customer Question

My patriot is stuck in park
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Jeep. The Jeep Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The car starts but I can't get shifter out of park. The dashboard says it's in neutral
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I don't know what too try
JA: Is there anything else the Jeep Mechanic should be aware of about your Jeep?
Customer: The jeep is in neutral. No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!If the instrument cluster shows the trans is in neutral yet the shifter is in park then you either have a range sensor issue or a physical problem with the shift cable, which could be broken or there could be something foreign blocking movement.Are you able to remove the shift cable at the trans, with the engine off and emergency brake set, try to shift the trans by hand to see if it's actually in neutral, and if it will shift through all ranges?