bill
bill, jeep master tech
Experience:  25 years with jeep drivability and electrical expert
5203640

My 2000 jeep Cherokee cruise turns on but won't set on a s

Customer Question

My 2000 jeep Cherokee cruise turns on but won't set on a speed
Category: Jeep
Expert:  bill replied 7 months ago.
9 times out of 10 this is a vacuum leak, the system is operated by vacuum and an electrical signal, if the light comes on, on the dash the electrical portion can be assumed to operate that leaves the vacuum portion, starting at the intake manifold, there is a large plastic line that follows the firewall from drivers to passenger side if the line is connected at the manifold (only a few lines on the manifold) then follow the line across the firewall it SHOULD run near the battery where is the MOST COMMON place for it to rot or get corroded from battery acid, the line runs to a reservoir around the battery AFTER it connects to the cruise control module
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When you turn off the motor there is still a vacuum on that line to the survo
Expert:  bill replied 7 months ago.
yes there should be quite a bit what is your skill level and did this just start, can you read a wiring diagram and use a test lamp and digital meter?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes I can use a meter and read a wireing diagram and my skill level is very good
Expert:  bill replied 7 months ago.
i'm sorry about the delay i didn't receive any email that you responded after i logged off for the night.here is a link to a document with the wiring diagrams for the speed control AND the operational characteristics of the system which will help with testing, if there is a good vacuum signal and the system still will not activate properly, check to see if there is power at the solenoid and ground no power usually is a dead brake switch BUT with a 16 year old vehicle it could be wiring as well
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I could not find the web site your were talking about,can you resend it,
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
after you didn't respond for some time the question goes "cold" and any links will disappearhere is the link again to the speed control on your Cherokeehttps://www.dropbox.com/s/0v8s1gdmcc8usju/speed%20control.docx?dl=0