rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

Cherokee: I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee with under 100,000 miles

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee with under 100,000 miles on it. One-owner. Lately it is
making a racket in the rear. Sometimes when I start from a complete stop, it clanks(?).
Is it bad to drive it? What type of repair does it need?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teachautomotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Pleaseunderstand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problemwith the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computerdata/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; wejust diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch thevehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going todirect you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please bepatient and permit me to do what I do best.I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” inreturn. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If thereis any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so Ican go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help youthrough it. It can be U joints or a differential problem. It needs to be put on a lift to check both items.Thanks, Ron
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.
I would drive it to the shop only.Thanks Ron