mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

Grand cherokee: need to know if its possible to change/replace

Customer Question

need to know if its possible to change/replace the 42re kickdown band without removing the transmission. I know it can be done on some transmissions. I dont want to know how bad of an idea it is etc etc. I am having slippage and howling in 1st gear. Good reverse. Getting ready to do the filter and adjust the bands but if I see that the band is toast Id like to just go ahead and replace it.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  mike switzer replied 7 months ago.
no you can only replace it by disassembling the transmission on that particular transmission. so yes you need to remove it in order to replace it.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I have found the split band for it. Do you have any experience in using these

do you have a picture of it that you can upload on here?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

i am familiar with those however the installation is still the same for them. you still need to remove the transmission and dis assemble it partially to install that band.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

That sucks. Hopefully the adjustment is just out. It feels like it is stupid tight. I think they were drunk when the last guy worked on this thing. Tooo many bud light caps found under the hood. Thanks.

no problem have a good evening. if oyu could take a moment to leave me a rating it would be appreciated.
Expert:  mike switzer replied 6 months ago.
just a friendly reminder if you have no further questions i would appreciate if you took a moment ot leave me a rating as this is how we are compensated. we do not receive any payment until you rate us.