mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

Grand cherokee: need to know if its possible to change/replace

Customer Question

need to know if its possible to change/replace the 42re kickdown band without removing the transmission. I know it can be done on some transmissions. I dont want to know how bad of an idea it is etc etc. I am having slippage and howling in 1st gear. Good reverse. Getting ready to do the filter and adjust the bands but if I see that the band is toast Id like to just go ahead and replace it.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  mike switzer replied 11 months ago.
no you can only replace it by disassembling the transmission on that particular transmission. so yes you need to remove it in order to replace it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have found the split band for it. Do you have any experience in using these

do you have a picture of it that you can upload on here?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i am familiar with those however the installation is still the same for them. you still need to remove the transmission and dis assemble it partially to install that band.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

That sucks. Hopefully the adjustment is just out. It feels like it is stupid tight. I think they were drunk when the last guy worked on this thing. Tooo many bud light caps found under the hood. Thanks.

no problem have a good evening. if oyu could take a moment to leave me a rating it would be appreciated.
just a friendly reminder if you have no further questions i would appreciate if you took a moment ot leave me a rating as this is how we are compensated. we do not receive any payment until you rate us.