tim's auto repair
tim's auto repair, Mechanic
Experience:  own shop 25yrs

I have a 1993 jeep grand Cherokee with the 4.0 and the

Customer Question

Hi I have a 1993 jeep grand Cherokee with the 4.0 and the 42re trans. I am having trouble with the tranny it was working fine and then one day it would not shifty out of 3rd unless I manually moved it to 2nd. I have pulled the codes from the overdrive light and I get codes 21,22, and 23 all of which refer to solenoids. It seems to me that it would be very unlikely that all of these solenoids would fail at once. I an thinking that the problem is the TCM. Ids there anyway to test this or should I be looking at something else?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  tim's auto repair replied 5 months ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist you.
from the way you explain the problem,this sounds as if you have a bad governor pressure sensor/solenoid..replace both the solenoid and the sensor at the same time while you are there.
PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]. the link doesn’t work that way, try it this If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
So according to the trouble codes I have
21 Governor pressure solenoid output
22 Overdrive solenoid output
23 Converter clutch solenoid outputAll of these solenoids have failed at the same time, what is the chances of that? It just seem odd to me.
i have had to do this many times,,no,they all havent need to replace two items..the pressure solenoid and the pressure sensorthanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just finished changing the pressure solenoid and pressure sensor with Cascade Transmissions update kit also installed a Transgo Jr. Shift kit while I was in there. Didn't solve the problem, any other guesses?
no other guesses other than internal transmission failier..