mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco

Just installed used motor 2000 jeep grand Cherokee.want to

Customer Question

just installed used motor 2000 jeep grand Cherokee.want to back fir and not start tested and replaced crank sensor changed cam sensor still doesn't want to start
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Jeep. The Jeep Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: don't know what else to add
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: it dosent flash any codes Ipulled the rocker cover checked that no valves were stuck replace crank sensor changed cam sensor
JA: Is there anything else the Jeep Mechanic should be aware of about your Jeep?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  bill replied 5 months ago.
what year is the replacement engine?it is well known with recyclers that you CANNOT change between generations of engines meaning a 2000 vehicle must use an engine that is compatable with it's computer, we changed the tone rings around 2004 from 16 tooth to 32 tooth on the crank these engines ARE NOT INTERCHANGABLE EASILY to swap the tone rings on the crank you need to disassemble the engine.did you compare the tone rings between the 2 engines?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
they looked the same
Expert:  bill replied 5 months ago.
what looked the same?the engines? all 4.7 engines look identical on the outside i need to know the donor engine's year before i can help, also did the donor engine run? if you bought it from a recycler they are required to put the vin of the vehicle the major component came from on the receipt, i can use that to determine the original vehicle and if it's interchangable
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
if I pull the trans and change the tone ring will it solve the problem
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the motor is a 4 liter not a 4,7
Expert:  mike switzer replied 5 months ago.
you said that it sounded as if it wants to fire backwards is that correct?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
tone ring the same nohelp