Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech

My 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 6cyl 4.0 L, won't start

Customer Question

My 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 6cyl 4.0 L, won't start when its above 70 outside. When I do get it started, it doesn't run long...stalls out. Changed out ALL the throttle related sensors, plugs wires, distributor & rotor & both O2 sensors. New Batt. & neg. Batt lead. There are times when the batt was disconnected, and I changed the neg cable, that it stared up & ran well....but when the Jeep sits overnight. It goes back to NOT starting...HELP!! Any suggestions? The ECU was changed out once by the previous owner. But all the solder joints look good...continuity checks.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Are you looking for some possible causes or would you like me to walk you through this diagnoses?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I feel like I've already been thru the possible let's go with the diagnosis.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.
Hello and sorry for the delay! NO problem! When the engine does not start, check for a 5 volt reference going to the TPS with the key in the ON position. Let me know!