Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

My name is ***** *****. I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Just picked it up today from the transmission shop and am now getting a P0601 code. I have cleared it a couple of times but it comes right back after starting the car. Could this have something to do with the transmission getting repaired?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We took it to the transmission shop because you could put it in park but the car would roll still so they basically overhauled the transmission. We didn't have the P0601 code come up before we had the transmission repaired.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Jeep Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
HI, SYMPTOM P0601-PCM INTERNAL CONTROLLER FAILUREPOSSIBLE CAUSES -Powertrain control module It is possible that the PCM got fried if they did not disconnect the battery when plugging back all the connectors to the transmission. Doesnt happen often, but is possible due to a slight voltage spike. That would be the only way it could be caused during a transmission replacement. Getting them to admit that will be near impossible. You would have some circumstantial evidence if your radio stations are still at their programmed buttons and clock is correct. That would suggest that the battery was not disconnected. Not hard proof as most shops try to instill in the techs to write down the preprogrammed radio stations and to reprogram them into radio and set the clock once repairs are done. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. ThanksIf for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.~Do you still need more help?~Confused by my info request or answer?~Need more time?~Confused on how the site works?~Need more detail or a different explanation?If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks