Jeep Service
Jeep Service, Jeep Owner
Experience:  14 years with AMC/Jeep Specializing with pre-1994 Jeep products.

My names ***** ***** and I've been working on my jeep

Customer Question

Hello my names ***** ***** and I've been working on my jeep all evening. I started having issues with it yesterday think the starter needed to be replaced because I would go to start my jeep and it would grind really bad. Then it eventually stopped starting all together (I haven't went anywhere today in it) it won't turn over but the lights will come on and radio. We put the battery on the other car and it started up fine. Checked all the fuses and electricals, put a new starter on it and still nothing. I called my dad and he said it could be the solenoid. I'm just trying to figure out where it is, other than on the starter that could be my problem.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: No not at all. I just want to get it fixed because I'm two hours from home and I have work.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Jeep Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jeep Service replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. A grinding noise, when engaging the starter, is rarely the solenoid. More often than not, the starter drive gear si faulty (new or not), or, the teeth on the flex plate (the unit that connects the engine to the torque converter of the transmission) are worn, missing or otherwise bad. The thing to do here is get an accurate assessment of the situation. The next thing to do is remove the starter and examine the teeth on the flex plate. If any of them have any indication of damage, you need to remove the transmission and replace the flex plate.
Please confirm that you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.