Jack, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Master Certified

Jeep Wrangler: I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler, I'm having what

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler, I'm having what seems to be a power issue, for the longest time it was just lights flickering, radio would cut out and windows were really slow, then started having a issue where sometimes when I open the door there was no power at all, would come back in a bit, take a while to start to turn over when starting the car, it was making a painful clicking noise before it would. Then the battery light came on and never left. Now the other day my alarm went off, when I turned off the alarm, the jeep will not start at all, the alarm sounds like it is going when the door is open, but very muffled, also the lights flicker at the same pace as the horn. I've checked the battery, alt, starter and all the wires multiple times they seem fine.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I will do my best to offer advice based on the information you provide. Sounds like a battery/charging and or draw concern. Have you had the battery tested as in load tested? same as the altenator? To me its sounds as if the battery wont take a charge or there is a parasitic draw on the battery.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I have not done that, is there anyway I can test that with out going to a shop?
Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.
most auto parts stores will be able to bench test both for little to no charge
Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.
All the symptoms you listed off who be a result of low battery voltage. also check the fuse box under the hood its called a TIPM. there is a power wire the is connected, open the cover you will see it. I have seen those get hot enough to melt and cause similar issues.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there a time for how long these answers last? I'm not going to be able to test it till tomorrow, can I reply then?
Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.
I am not sure about the time line.