eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase mechanic 16 Plus years in the field
6149662

My name is ***** *****. My 2007 jeep patriot will not let you

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. My 2007 jeep patriot will not let you pump more than 10 to 20 cent of gas at a time without clicking off
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The pump just keeps clicking off like it is full and I have only pumped a few cents of gas.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Jeep Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  eauto replied 7 months ago.
is the engine light on?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes but I was told the light was for the manifold valves were stuck open.
Expert:  eauto replied 7 months ago.
can you tell me if it has any evap codes?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just a picture of the engine
Expert:  eauto replied 7 months ago.
can you rescan it? and write down the codes?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I had it put on a machine at 2 different places and they both told me the same. I'm at home now. I have the side panel off looking at the pipe that goes to the tank. I was told there was a little ball in there and to push it out. But there is no little ball there.
Expert:  eauto replied 7 months ago.
its usually caused by a bad vent solenoid... which is intergrated in the charcoal canister aka esimThe ESIM (Evaporative System Integrity Monitor), while physically different than the NVLD system, performs the same basic function as the NVLD does - controlling evaporative emissions. The ESIM has been simplified because the solenoid used on the NVLD is not used on the ESIM.The ESIM consists of housing, two check valves (sometimes referred to as weights), a diaphragm, a switch and a cover. The larger check valve seals for pressure and the smaller one seals for vacuum.During refueling, pressure is built up in the evaporative system. When pressure reaches approximately 0.5 inches of water, the large check valve unseats and pressure vents to the fresh air filter.Conversely, when the system cools and the resulting vacuum lifts the small check valve from its seat and allows fresh air to enter the system and relieve the vacuum condition. When a calibrated amount of vacuum is achieved in the evaporative system, the diaphragm is pulled inward, pushing on the spring and closing the contacts.The ESIM conducts test on the evaporative system as follows: An engine off, non-intrusive test for small leaks and an engine running, intrusive test for medium/large leaks.The ESIM weights seal the evap. system during engine off conditions. If the evap. system is sealed, it will be pulled into a vacuum, either due to the cool down from operating temperature or diurnal ambient temperature cycling. When the vacuum in the system exceeds about 1 inch H20, the vacuum switch closes. The switch closure sends a signal to the GPEC1. In order to pass the non-intrusive small leak test, the ESIM switch must close within a calculated amount of time and within a specified amount of key-off events.If the ESIM switch does not close as specified, the test is considered inconclusive and the intrusive engine running test will be run during the next key-on cycle. This intrusive test will run on the next cold engine running condition.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Where is this venture solenoid
Expert:  eauto replied 7 months ago.
The canister mounts to a left rear rail in the rear of the vehicle.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is this picture it
Expert:  eauto replied 7 months ago.
yup did you disconnect the hoses?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not on it wasn't sure that was it
Expert:  eauto replied 7 months ago.
start by reconnecting the hoses
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Everything is OK there
Expert:  eauto replied 7 months ago.
no way to see if its working visually