sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

What are possible outcomes if an ignition switch and lock

Customer Question

What are possible outcomes if an ignition switch and lock cylinder are replaced via safety recall for a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the car already has a remote entry/security system and a separate remote starter system already in place?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 8 months ago.
Hello. The lock cylinder and ignition switch should not be affected by your remote starter and security system. They won't have to do any work with your wiring. They will just unplug your old ignition switch and plug in the new switch. Your bypass module should work to start the car the same as always since they will likely program your new key the same as your old keys.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. If the ignition is installed without the sentry key module dioes that affect either system I mentioned?
I see, so you somehow bypassed the SKIM to avoid using a bypass module?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I didn't personally. I had the service done at a Chrysler/Jeep dealer.
oh, if they installed the remote starter then you will definitely not have an issue when they perform the recall procedure.
well, I shouldn't say "definitely" since few things in life are "definite", but I highly doubt that there will be an issue in your case.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
They did not. I advised them about the remote starter and provided that remote prior to any work being done also
You will be okay. It's their installation, so there shouldn't be an issue.
wait, im confused.. chrysler did not install the starter? or they did install the starter?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't think I'm making myself clear. The dealership did NOT install the remote starter. I just told them about it before they did the recall work. Honestly I'm asking because something is terribly wrong
I understand now. So, the starter was installed by someone else, chrysler performed the recall and now there is an issue with your remote starter.. What's happening? Is it not working now?
I think I have a suspicion of what's happening, but I'd like to hear from you what is going on first. The symptoms your having
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
First I complained about the recall install because there is the gap around the cylinder/lock. The black ring. I was told nothing could be done about it because the new locks didn't include the skim. However the car has locked me OUT while the key was in n engine running and other strange things so I took it to place of purchase (purchased on Dec 30, 2015) and error code was skim key error. P0513. I reported this error code to Chrysler service
Ok. Have you tried to unplug the remote start/alarm module and see if the problems resolve?
They should have installed your existing skim when they did the recall, unless your existing skim was removed and somehow bypassed when your remote starter was installed. I am thinking that your new keys are coded differently than your original keys and your remote starter/alarm system's bypass module is programmed to your original key programming, so now you basically have a system that's not going to function correctly until the bypass module for your alarm/starter system is programmed to your new keys. try to unplug the alarm module and see if the problem resolves.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I think I'm being screwed. atter the "lock out" the next day car wouldn't accelerate properly and inside lights were flashing.... Had the car towed to Chrysler service and provided them w error code. I was called the next day advising I needed to buy a new starter first.... Later that day after starter was installed I was told I need a new motor! I don't understand why the errorcode wasn't addressed first n u sure don't get the need for a starter and now motor???
all this started after the recall was done?
the black ring your talking about is a part of the skim. I don't understand how they did the recall and didn't install the skim.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There were no adjustments made at the install of the ignition. No bypasses, the service tech said an ibsruction video was used
the chrysler tech used a video to perform the recall?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Oh My God.... That was my question. Yes ALL this started after the recall why was the skin omitted? I'm getting the run around
Do you have the car in your possession? or is it at chrysler.
I hope you are not getting upset with me.. I am trying to fully understand the situation and explain my thoughts on what is going on.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
its at the Chrysler dealer. I have been trying to work with Chrysler Corp recall dept.cause this is crazy. There was NOTHING wrong with the car until after the recall install
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
A no cost recall has now cost me $4000 I paid for the car a few months ago, plus $2282. on rental car from the dealer plus starter cost and install. They quote a new engine atb$9000. Unbelievable!!
I think you are being terribly mislead. For one thing, I don't understand how they did the recall, but didn't install the skim. If I knew exactly how your remote starter was installed I would have a much better understanding as that plays a huge part in this whole mess. If the skim is there, and your starter is using a bypass module, the module needs to be reprogrammed for your new key program. You currently have one system using 2 programs based on my understanding. The best place to go is probably to the installer of the alarm system.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The car won't move now!
I'm not buying the idea of needing a new engine, unless something totally unrelated happened.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I would think the service techs would know this and I asked ....that's when I was told they use a video to install recall parts
I am surprised at this entire situation. It's quite disturbing and I am very sorry this is happening to you over what's supposed to be a simple recall procedure. It sounds like someone really messed up with this one. I am going to open this question up for the other technicians. There are a couple guys here that have done that recall procedure and hopefully will be able to give you much better insight as to where you should go from here. Don't rate me as then they won't be able to assist you. It's pretty late, so it might not be until morning but one of them should be with you soon. Is that ok?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sir, I thank you because you answered my question. My initial question why was the install performed without the skim. Once the skim key error code was diagnosed i provided that and then told the service advisor to take care of the error code BEFOREHAND any thin else was done. Obviously yay didn't happen and the only recourse I have is to prove it from a certifi
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That will be fine. Will you follow up this way?
I agree, that should have been addressed and that code doesn't at all surprise me since they didn't install the skim with the repair. I can't understand how the car is starting without it though, unless your remote starter bypass is allowing it to start.
Yes. One of them will answer right here and you will get an email alert when they do. There will be a link in your email that will bring you right back here and you can chat with him and see what he thinks.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I was told that worked for a little while until the key became unrecognizable. Then it basically shut down
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you.
Your welcome. It might not be til morning before they get back to you. Good luck and sorry this is happening.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Anytime I receive a response is fine. I appreciate your time and expertise,
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!With exception to possibly something going on with the SKIM module and the gap you're seeing, none of the issues you've described are recall related. It isn't possible for the engine to start without the SKIM module, you would have no tire pressure monitoring or keyless entry if the module wasn't present either. They may not have mounted the ignition switch and/or SKIM module in the dash correctly but it isn't possible for the vehicle to operate without the module.The recall involves replacing the ignition switch and lock cylinder to require you to press the key inward before it will turn off. A connection, wiring or ignition switch issue could cause electrical problems (if the switch was bad then it could be warrantied), but any issues other than that or not being able to turn the key would not be recall related.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
After the install of the recall parts the problem began. The remote starter was installed somewhere else prior to the recall work. My basic question was after the problems began, why would the skim code error error P0513 happen?
P0513 sets when an invalid key has been used in the ignition. This will result in the engine starting and dying twice and then locking the starter out.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Also, were you able to see the previous discussion I had with another mechanic from Just Answer last night?
Yes.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Exactly what happened. I was advised the car wasn't recognizing the key n it shut down. Once I towed the vehicle back to the jeep service center that performed the recall work, I provided that code and instructed the tech to address that issue. I went from that instruction to needing a new starter, finally needing a new MOTOR in 24 hours
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
So you don't agree with his assessment. If the recall install was completed without the sentry key module being installed, there would be no problems?
It isn't possible for the vehicle to operate without the SKIM module in place, and the P0513 sets in the SKIM module. The P0513 couldn't have been read if there was no SKIM module, you'd have no keyless entry or tire pressure monitoring. The SKIM module is in place, although whatever you're seeing with the gap isn't correct.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sir, i was advised the skim key module was not installed because it was not necessary as the newer locks did not require the module. At that time I did not know the module was an important component of the entry system I had. After numerous issues, the last being exactly what you described and the car shutting down completely, I towed it to the dealer I purchased it from about 2 months earlier. Their diagnostic machine indicated SKIM key Error. Told me to tow it to the shop that did recall work where I gave them that code. Again I was told the module wasn't necessary but I did request the skim key error be fixed first!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I left my original remote (entry/security) AND my remote starter remote so they had both
You're most likely talking to a service writer, which don't have a working knowledge of a vehicle. The recall simply replaces the ignition switch and lock cylinder to force you to push the key in before it is turned. It isn't possible to start the engine and operate the vehicle without the SKIM module.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Even though I gave the instructions, I was advised I would need to purchase a starter so they could start the car to confirm the diagnosi
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Skim key error. After I agreed, starter was installed ($582), I was called a few hours later to advise me my engine needed replacement. ($9k)
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Exactly!!! I was told the recall was done using a video from the NTSB. All recall work is done that way
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Please understand I truly appreciate your expertise and knowledge. My problem is not with the recall itself. It is with the dealership that performed the installation. I will tell you I am a single female and own my own business.bbhsvr custody of 2 grandchildren and one in s very sick. I had NO knowledge of cars, mechanics. I became a member of Just answer after numerous instances of being ripped off before I got the jeep. I have been fighting this since February. Working with Chrysler Corporate Recall Department and the Customer Care Depart has been a joke! My gut told me something was wrong immediately after I picked up the car after the recall work was done. I have been lied to, have spent over $3,000 so far and I still don't have an operating car. I have been told the car is old, etc...but it is what I could afford. I paid $4,000 for the jeep and had only had it for 2 months before this happened. Now I need a $9,000 engine? I honestly don't know what to do because if I don't fight this, I'm totally screwed!
I would recommend getting the opinion of another shop and another estimate. If it does need an engine you should be able to have a used one installed for $2-3,000.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you
You're welcome!