Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Cherokee Sport: My blinkers nor my hazards work when I turn

Customer Question

My blinkers nor my hazards work when I turn on headlights/driving lights. Also the RPM gauge dies and "airbag" light comes on and then it shows NO BUS. But all this only occurs when I turn on lights. But everything works fine when my lights are off. If I'm able to send video, I'll send.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 9 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. We are only allowed to help address one concern or symptom per opened question. Which would you like me help on?Year make model engine?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Making the blinkers work, I'm 100% sure whatever the problem is. It's one thing that's causing all this.It's a 2000 Jeep Cherokee sport XJ 4x4 4.0L
Thanks, ***** ***** I understand the blinkers and hazards will work when the headlights and parking lights are off, bit not when the headlights and parking lights are on?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes that's correct
Thanks, ***** ***** headlight on and the blinkers used what do the indicators do in the instrument cluster, flash, solid on, or off?With the headlights on are fuses 20 under the hood and 12 under the dash powered?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's off. As for the fuses not sure. But I can find out.
Let me know when you have checked the fuses.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Which one is 20 under hood?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Fuse number 12 under dash does not light up with headlights on
Does fuse 12 light up with the headlights off?Below is a diagram for fuse 20.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/fuse20.pdf
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yea found it, fuse number 20 under hood LIGHTS UP with headlights on. And fuse number 12 DOES LIGHT UP with headlights OFF.
Under the dash, key on, headlights off, fuses 22*24*25*26 are they powered, with the headlights on are they still powered?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, so 22,25,26 light up with lights off. And with lights on they light up as well. Now 22 did not have a fuse in it, I remember when I bought the jeep I found a extra 20amp fuse in the glove box. So I installed it to answer your question. But now with headlights on the rear wiper stays on constantly, even after turning off lights.Now isn't fuse number 24 a spare? There isn't one in that slot. And my diagram shows "SPARE"
These fuses are on the same circuit, I was just trying to see where fuse 12 was losing voltage. See the link below.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/healight.pngIf you run a wire from the battery + and touch it to the test pins on the top of fuse 12 with the headlights on, do the blinkers then work with the headlights on?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No they still don't
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/pin1blk.pdfWith your jumper in place is the flasher pin 1 black wire remaining powered?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't understand what you're saying?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I mean asking
Leave your power jumper wire to fuse 12, the one that loses power with the headlights on. Access the combination flasher. At pin 1 of that connector, its a black wire. See if that wire is remaining powered with the headlights on.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When you say combination flasher, you mean that relay under the dash on drivers side?
it is very similar to a relay and its near the headlight switch.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If it's that relay looking type thing. Which is the color gray. It has 2 black wires going to it. Tested both, and both have power with headlights on. With jumper and without jumper.
What are all the other wire colors. I do not believe your on the right thing. It does have 2 black wires but one is ground, so both could not have power if fuse 12 does not have power.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
One is red/white, next is purple, and third is pink and black.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Pink/black
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
And one pin lights up very well while other is very dimmed.
That for sure the flasher your on. Is the black/pink pin 2 lighting up with the same intensity as the black pin 1 wire?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes it does
Okay so the combo flasher is now getting appropriate power with the headlights on or off jumper wire installed and removed?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No it's getting power on both black wires with headlights ON and the jumper on/off. Didnt check it it's getting power with lights OFF.
Time for me to eat and shower, I will be back in a while.
After reviwing all the results again I do not believe I can figure this out not in person. I am going to opt out.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What you mean opt out?By the way, it looks like the jeep once had an alarm system in it. Don't know if this will help but just felt like I had to throw it out there.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Why havnt I got a response?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's been well over 24 hours