Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Grand Cherokee: I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee, I replaced the

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee, I replaced the battery this weekend after my daughter played the radio and ran the battery dead.
When I put the new battery in and continued my hour drive home it ran great with no problems, we stopped and got fuel it started right up and ran with no problems. I didn't drive it Sunday, started it up that evening just to make sure it was okay, this morning it started and when I back up it dies, while driving I have to keep my foot on the gas.
I replaced the alternator in November 2015 or 2016. Within the past 4 months I have replace the IAC, map sensor and the TPS.
When I changed the TPS I disconnected the battery because I was told that had to be done to reset PCM/ECM, it took a few before it would start and stay running but once it did it was good to go.
I am going to have the alternator tested today. Any suggestions?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome! I do believe the computer just needs to relearn the idle since the battery went dead. If you drive the vehicle for a biut, I have a feeling it will start to idle like it should. It should get bettery over time as you drive the vehicle.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Even though I drove it 50+ miles after the battery was replaced & it started just fine and ran good after a stop in the middle of the 50+ miles?
Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.
YES, it is possible. I would drive it for a few more days. The longer the better. If the problem continues, then we need to dig further. Checking for air/vacuum leaks, checking the new IAC valve and wiring, TPS signal and throttle body
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay, it is not fun driving in traffic and having to restart it and hope it does start. I have to pump the gas after the first two times it dies.
Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.
I am glad I can help! It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today. Please let me know if you have any further questions.