Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year working in the automotive field as a Tech.

I put a new cluster in my 05 jeep cherokee and i forgot to

Customer Question

i put a new cluster in my 05 jeep cherokee and i forgot to take the key out and their seem to be smoke or steam come up around the windshield when i plugged it in and now the jeep wont start,or i left the doors open all day and now the gc wont start.not sure which one it is for the reason it wont start help. replaced the starter still no start
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my 2005 jeep wont start,when you turn the key the dash lights up but their is a clicking noise I replaced the starter
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Jeep Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.The problem you are having with a no crank condition can be caused by any of the following,Powertrain Control Module (PCM)Starter RelayTransmission Range (TR) SensorWiringIn order to determine the cause you are going to need to do some testing, I have enclosed the test steps in the link below, copy and paste then to your browser to open and view them.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am not a mechanic and is their a simplier answer to my question?? What if any did plugging in the cluster with the key in the on position play in this problem?? Could it be that my key is no longer coded because of a new ignition switch.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The ignition switch was installed at the dealer. I drove the Jeep home last Friday parked it in the driveway and Saturday morning would not start??
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Yes its is very likely if you replace the ignition switch that the system can not longer read the key and if that is the case programming will be needed. There are some locksmiths that can do this for you and if none are available in your area then unfortunately this has to be done by your dealer.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I went out about 10 mins ago and the jeep started turn her of tried again and no go.I AM NOT SURE IF IT WOULD HAVE MADE A DIFFERENCE BUT I PUT IT IN NEUTRAL!!!!!
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
That may , placing it in neutral indicates you may have a problem with the transmission range sensor and the test steps I sent you would verify that if in fact that is the case.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
A local garage mechanic can run a wire from the battery to the starter and it will start
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Yes but all your doing by doing that is by passing the start circuit including transmission range sensor. If you can have them run the steps I sent you they should be able to get this resolved.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
where is the sensor located
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
The Transmission Range Sensor is part of the solenoid module, which is mounted to the top of the valve body inside the transmission.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have tried to start the Jeep 2 times this morning.First time the Jeep started and would not on a second try, I tried a second time and the jeep started twice and not on the third try.What do you think wiring problem,battery terminals
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
I suspect you have a problem with the transmission range sensor and or the connection to it as I have stated , the only way to know for sure would be to run the test steps I sent you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Your answers to my questions was to far above my knowledge so I have to take it to a dealer, I do not have the tools to perform the tasks that you advised me on.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Okay unfortunately if you are not able to do this then that your best recourse .