Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year working in the automotive field as a Tech.

Grand Cherokee Overland: I just purchased a 06 Jeep Grand

Customer Question

Hi I just purchased a 06 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with the 5.7 V8 I am experiencing the following problems below: Also Do you have any suggestions for expert technicians in the Northern Ohio Cleveland area that could service it?
3 Problems Total
Problem #1
Only has occurred when getting on the acceleration & at higher RPMS
Problem with Oil Light Coming on & Staying on for 10-20 minutes & then knocking sound in engine like a stuck lifter, or tick tick tick...
Only last for short time – then back to normal – 10-20 minutes
During the time this is happening the Engine performance feels compromised as if not running on all 8 Cylinders , once its back to normal the engine sounds and runs good. Again this has only happened when I got up on the acceleration after the engine was fully warmed up. I towed my Honda accord for 6 Hours, and it occured just before the tow so I went and did full oil change on it. But if ran wonderful during that two and only occurred again really accelerated the RPMS.
Potential Solutions – Replace Oil Pump, maybe use Stronger Oil Pump
Problem #2
Traction Control Engages & Almost seems like engine stalls – severe loss of power
Only last for 10-20 Seconds
Has done this 2-3 Times - last 3 Days
Happens at Lower RPM Levels with mild acceleration and happens when hit bump in road or rain on road so far and this traction light comes on.
Potential Solution - Can we turn off Traction Control or does something need to be adjusted on the computer? And can some of the other be solved with Tuner?
Problem # *****
Extremely Low Average Gas Mileage = 12.5 -13.5
Should be closer to averaging 18-20
MDS Working Properly
Confirm Oil they Put into Jeep – Should Be x 10w 20 for MDS to work properly
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. Elliott, Before you consider replacing the oil pump you should start with installing a Manuel oil pressure gauge and monitor the oil pressure while the problem is occurring. If the engine is knocking then you are very likely loosing oil pressure and this needs to be addressed ASAP. If the oil pressure is low as suspected then the place to start is likely going to require replacing the oil pump and making sure the pick up screen is clear. It is possible you are dealing with sludge build up causing a restriction in the oil pump pick up screen. At either rate this needs to be addressed right away and you should stop driving it until it fixed to avoid damage to the engine.In order to determine what is failing with the traction control you are going to need to start with having the system scanned and the fault code and or codes retrieved. Once you have them I can advise from there.