Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo brake light: The brake lights

Customer Question

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo brake light: The brake lights wont work. I have replaced the brake light switch, both bulbs and have adjusted it correctly but still no brake lights. I have replaced the fuse from the glove box fuse block, and none of the brake lights are working. Cruise control responds to braking, which makes me believe the switch is working. Is there anything else that I could do to fix the problem? Possibly an issue with the wires maybe? The headlights, turn signals and hazards all work.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. Are you planning on changing the fuse yourself?
Customer: I did already
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to fuse guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: car's running fine, thanks
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Jeep Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: All the information is on the original message, thanks
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** to see if the red/light blue wire at brake light switch has power. Let me know, thanks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No such wire. I have Brown, Black, yellow/red, blue/light green, light brown/white and red/light green, on that order. The red/light green measured 12.3V against the black.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
Sorry, I meant to say red/light green. Jump the red/light green to the white/tan "brown/white" wire. If brake lights don't come on disconnect each of the rear brake light assemblies one at a time to see if center brake light works. Let me know, thanks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes, they do light up.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
That either means new switch is problem or it needs to be adjusted correctly if lights come on when jumping the brake light switch. I'd try to make sure switch is installed correctly, if so buy a new switch from dealer. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I put foil paper on the connector side and now it works fine, I think the connector is loose. Do you know the part number of the brake light switch connector so I can order a new one? Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
I don't have the part number for that connector. That would be a dealer item only or you could have one cut off vehicle at salvage yard. Your other option is to take a needle and push pins back together in connector so it is a tighter fit. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks!