Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified
10114124

Just purchased a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and drove it fine

Customer Question

Just purchased a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and drove it fine for 5 days, then on day 6 it enabled the anti theft system and would on start for 2 seconds, then shut down. Tried all tricks found online without a permanent solution. First time it was fixed by removing a relay for 5 minutes then replacing it and using the key to unlock the drivers door after locking the door from the inside door panel and shutting it. Today it did it again and had to remove a relay and auto shutdown fuse for 5 minutes then replace and start and it worked. Just went out a few minutes ago and it's enabled again. Is there a different, more permanent fix since this seems to be intermittent?
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. Are you planning on changing the fuse yourself?
Customer: If I can. If it a possibility that the relay is bad?
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to fuse guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: The car runs fine for the most part. Does have an oil pressure gauge issue that was known when we bought it. Intermittently drops to zero although manual gauges say the pressure remains fine when this happens.
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Jeep Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: I think that's it. Just want a promising idea before spending lots of $
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 8 months ago.
Do you see a key with a slash thru it on in the dash? If so then you either have a bad key or bad skim module. Do you have another key to try?