sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My name is ***** *****. My mechanic tells me that I need a

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. My mechanic tells me that I need a new transfer case on a 2000 Jeep TJ. When I look at the price for a new NP231 I am wondering is a Rebuild is a better option
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: HI Dan. I dont know what more to tell you. He told me that the oil in my Transfer case is filthy....after 16 years, I never changed or replaced it. My chain is completely stretched and I need a new Slip Yoke Eliminator
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Auto Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $24 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!Whether it's more cost effective to repair or replace a transfer case depends on the extent of the damage, which couldn't be known until the transfer case was completely disassembled. If it was just a chain issue then it would be cheaper to put a chain in it, but the chain isn't going to be damaged without the gears being damaged. Parts availability may be a deciding factor due to the age, some of the internal parts have been discontinued.What actual symptoms are you having?Has it not been removed and disassembled?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It has been disassembled or at least opened up....that I know. I have read some reports that says that I should have done some maintenance on it from time to time....I have Never done anything to it....wasn't even aware that I had to...Thus the problems 16 years later. Smile
The transfer case maintenance interval is 30,000 miles, the same as the transmission. Do you know what all parts were found to be damaged?