sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I bought a 1999 Jeep grand Cherokee Laredo with the six

Customer Question

I bought a 1999 Jeep grand Cherokee Laredo with the six cylinder in-line. It came with a metal key and not a transponder key and it worked fine for a few days until I installed an aftermarket alarm system. It still work fine for a few days until I disconnected the battery to change terminals. After that the car starts immediately and dies immediately within two seconds. The aftermarket alarm was removed but it has the same issue. It was seen by several mechanics and there was a debate as to whether or not this year had a transponder key, skim module or not. It is at the Chrysler dealer right now and they have already charge me $360 and now they feel that the wrong computer is in the car and I need another one and to get it flashed. That will cost around $1100 and what I need to know is if the car will work by swapping a working computer from another 99 model without needing to be programmed at the dealer. As you know it will save me hundreds of dollars that way but I also need to know how to choose the correct ECU from a different Jeep. I am considering just paying them and leaving it there if it will need to be programmed but I really need answers first to decide what to do.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 8 months ago.
Hello. If your computer is bad, you can get another computer used on ebay for pretty cheap. You will need to remove your computer and look at the part number to match it up and make sure that it's correct. If the numbers match, it should be plug and play.
There is an Ebay store that we have gotten quite a few ECMs from for around 150
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!Any PCM that's installed would need to have the VIN and mileage programmed with a scan tool. This can be done with a remanufactured or used PCM.If the vehicle does not have SKIM (it depends on how the specific vehicle was built, the system was optional) then the replacement PCM would need to come from a vehicle that also did not have SKIM.If the vehicle doesn't have SKIM and someone has imported the system with an incorrect PCM then the BCM will now also be corrupted and need to be replaced, otherwise it will be constantly looking for a missing SKIM module and then factory security (VTSS) will cause the engine to start and die along with the lights flashing.