Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

Darron, I have a 2003 rubicon and the right turn signal works

Customer Question

Darron, I have a 2003 rubicon and the right turn signal works normally right up till I turn on the lights then it goes solid on and will not blink. The multi function switch has been replaced and fuses are good. Bulbs also appear in good order
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Only other thing is that for some reason the mileage readout flashes with the right turn when the lights are off
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Jeep Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  bill replied 8 months ago.
may I have the vin to pull the proper wiring diagram? please
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
1J4FA69S63P352732
Expert:  bill replied 8 months ago.
first thing is to determine which lamp is causing the problem,i need you to choose a lamp either front OR rear and pull the bulb (rear is the easiest) turn on the turn signal (it should blink fast with no bulb) and then the park lamps if the lamp goes solid the front lamps are causing the problem if they work normally the rear lamp is causing the problem, I suspect a bad or corrode ground OR a bad socket, but we need to isolate the area to front or rear
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Will try on my next break but at work worst case will let you now when I get home in the morning and can pull her apart for sure
Expert:  bill replied 8 months ago.
ok it's getting late on the east coast so I am logging off for tonight I will read your reply and respond tomorrow, also look for any corrosion on the sockets and look carefully at the filaments in the bulb
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Pulling the passenger front front turn signal light and dash lights and all remaining turn signals flash with exception of passenger front side turn signal (remained out) and the drivers side turn signals blinked but at the lower wattage with headlights off. Headlights on the turns all remain solid with the passenger front side still out and the drivers turns still at lower wattage.
With the front passenger side turn pulled and lights off same save front front turn flashes. With lights on same as above save front front turn remains on and solid again.
With lights off or on and rear bottom bulb or both rear bulbs pulled I get appropriate fast blinking from all passenger side lights and normal reaction from drivers side turns. With top only pulled i get the same as front test save both front passenger turn lights on.
Expert:  bill replied 8 months ago.
assuming the sockets look good and there is no rust or corrosion I would look at the ground circuit, a loose or corroded/missing ground on the turn signal circuit will cause a solid lamp, what happens is the old style filaments act as a ground when there is no load on them (light off) and when you turn on the lamp suddenly the lamp can't act as a ground anymore and remains on solid or sometimes goes out or dims.the grounds for your rubicon are shared with the headlamps so the headlamp may be acting as a ground until they are turned on then the ground is losthere are the diagrams for the front lighting for you to follow including the ground locations, using a digital ohm meter verify there is continuity to ground on all the lamps the resistance must be BELOW 2 ohmshttps://www.dropbox.com/s/hyeyvljc2rcl10o/rubi.docx?dl=0
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No rust or corrosion that I could find just mud that I cleaned off with no change. During my trip to the store for a 9v for my multimeter I stopped at a light and the jeep went stone dead no electrics including power steering and hazards. I tried restarting from scratch 3 times to no effect still dead in the water. After opening the door I tried turning the key one more time and for some reason had electrical power again. I got back in closed the door and turned the key off depressed the clutch and she started right up and all electrics work like I just drove her out of the factory. Now after several manual restarts in a parking lot over a couple of hour she still is working like new. As soon as my kids are asleep I will get the ohm readings for you but figured you should know of the above incident
Expert:  bill replied 8 months ago.
check the battery cables at the battery and especially at the connection ends at the fuse box and block grounds, a total loss of battery power indicates a loose or weak connection, BUT you may have more than 1 problem
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The front front passenger turn signal socket read 3.4 ohm and the front passenger side turn was 1.9 ohm and the passenger headlight was 1.3 ohm. Getting new battery connectors tomorrow as it died again today in the driveway after reattaching the battery post testing and they were old and beaten up. I got 12.97v off the battery posts and 11.2v off the connectors post becoming a brick labeled Jeep.