Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech

Grand cherokee: I have a 97 grand cherokee 4.0l, the instrument

Customer Question

I have a 97 grand cherokee 4.0l, the instrument cluster no longer works. It used to cut off intermittently while driving and I could hit the dash and they would come back on but all gauges are just inop now. I took the bash apart and the cluster out to clean the connectors but they were relatively clean and snug. The cluster has illumination and when I key the ignition the only alarm light thing to pop up (like when you first start the car and the gas/headlights/seat belt lights all turn on for a second) the only one that turns on is the abs light
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ive already checked all the fuses, and so far I've noticed that when the gauges aren't working neither the windows or the a/c work. And the power lock on the driver door only operates that lock not any of the other doors
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer. This may be a problem with the instrument cluster itself, or a power feed issue to the cluster. Have you checked for power and ground at the instrument cluster connector with a 12 volt test light?Chris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I havent, do I just press the test light into every hole in the connector coming from the car? Which one will be the ground?
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.
Ok I will send you a picture of the connector, and tell you which terminals to check. I will send this later when I get to work. Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.
Ok, found a connector diagram. With the key on see if there is voltage at terminals # ***** and # ***** If there is and the cluster does not work, then replace the cluster. I hope this helps, and please don't forget to rate my service today! Thank you, Chris. Here is the link:
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.
Hello, just checking back t see if you were able to check the connector. let me know how it went! Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.
How's it going with the Jeep? Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.
Hello again, just following up with you and checking back to see if you need any further assistance. If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept in a positive way. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank you! Chris