Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 2006 jeep 3.7L Liberty Limited and I have been

Customer Question

I have a 2006 jeep 3.7L Liberty Limited and I have been having problems accelerating especially up hills. I noticed that the RPMS dial goes down and it seems like I am loosing power. I am in 2wd (I have 2wd,4wd) and if I push it (press down too hard on the peddle it feels sometimes like the car may cut off. So I release pressure on the peddle and softly give it power again as going up hill and it works fine for a little while and then may have to do it again depending upon the hill steepness. Then I took it to mechanic and he said it needed a new fuel pump. I had it changed and I still detect the problem. What could it be?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** the check engine light on? Does vehicle act like it has a rpm limiter such as not wanting to go above 3000 rpm? Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

no check engine light. It does go above that but usually when riding on level ground highway, or down hill above 70 mph.

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

How many miles on it? Have spark plugs been replaced recently? Thanks.

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Also, does vehicle idle smooth? Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Car has 53k miles, bought it with 44k last summer. Does it use spark plugs or something else. Yes it idles smooth? Is the truck a turtle. I wanted a v6 version because I did not want a turtle.

Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

In some cases a fault like this here can be caused by a restricted catalytic converter.I have seen these clog up and cause the acceleration issue under load like this here.If you have not had an exhaust back pressure test done this should be done.This is done with a back pressure tester that is threaded into the pre catalytic converter oxygen sensor port.If the back pressure exceeds 1.5 psi at any rpm range this issue will occur here.Most shops have this tool to test with and in some cases you can rent it yourself from a local parts store.I would have this test done to see if this is the cause here needing replaced.You may have two catalytic converters on this engine both needing tested.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I will have to do this and see..then rate

Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

O.k.,let me know how this turns out here and if you need anything else.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I was told by mechanic to put Cataclean in gas tank and see if that resolves issue before he goes any further. I just put it in my gas tank 1/4 full. If it is the catalytic converter I was informed that there are two on this car. Do both need to be replaced? I looked up and saw the most reasonable approach would be to buy: a http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts-mufflers/61A4168A0A0.aspx