Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

Check engine light came on last night but no messages saying

Customer Question

check engine light came on last night but no messages saying what is up
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: engine light came on with no messages
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Jeep Mechanic should know about your Jeep?
Customer: nope...all good 160,000 miles
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

What year, engine size and model is your Jeep?

Is it running normally even though the check engine light is on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no messages on dash
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my old exterra did this and it was o2 sensors
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just want to reset the engine light
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok

To reset the light on this you will either need to hit up a parts store with a code reader or disconnect the battery for at least an hour, but probably overnight. There isn't any method of flashing codes or clearing them on these anymore with the key.

Most of the parts stores will do this at no charge for you and you might as well get the codes before clearing them. If it's running normally then it's likely an emissions issue or as you said,possibly an O2 sensor fault.

You can still drive it with the light on also if it's running fine without a chance of damaging it. Of course, if you do get the codes, post them here with me and I can likely help you out.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?