Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Getting these three codes, P0218, P0714, P0888 Trans seems

Customer Question

getting these three codes, P0218, P0714, P0888
Trans seems to go in Neutral when traveling down highway, took to dealership and they could not replicate what I have been experiencing. It is very intermittent, some days it does it some times days between issue.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** usually means the transmission relay is failing so replace relay for this code. The other two codes means the computer detected high temp operation of transmission and put it in safe mode. These two codes usually mean the transmission range switch has failed which has temperature switch built into it or the PCM itself has failed. I'd start by replacing relay and transmission range switch, if problem still exists replace the PCM. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
They said that the Transmission relay would cause voltage issues with the temperature sensor, This was the first thing they replaced. I have seen several forums online that talk about a bad ground could also cause the issue, beside the firewall and head ground are there any other grounds for the transmission that would cause this issue.
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

I've seen this many times and the most common cause is the PCM but since the transmission range switch can also cause this and is a cheaper part that is where I'd start. Since problem is intermittent it is going to be hard to test. I have not seen any ground problems cause this, a ground problem should also cause other issues besides this and more codes. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.