Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.

Have 1997 jeep Grand Cherokee v8. It keeps burning up coils.

Customer Question

Have 1997 jeep Grand Cherokee v8. It keeps burning up coils. Checked distrib. cap/rotar button and replaced coil wire to distributor. What are possible reasons for the coil to burn up?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

Hi there,

The most common issue for this is a broken ground wire. This could be the negative battery cable, or any of the ground straps that go from the engine to the firewall. The bad ground will cause a voltage fluctuation and cause the coil to burn up, melt or finally just stop working.

Check any grounds you can find on the engine and grounds that run from the back of the engine to the firewall.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

Hello again,

Do you need further assistance with this?