Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

The dash gauges on my 96 Grand Cherokee intermittently stop

Customer Question

The dash gauges on my 96 Grand Cherokee intermittently stop working
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I had the battery replaced about 2 months ago and that is when the problem seems to have started
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Jeep Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, I would like to be able to fix it myself
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have checked the fuses and the wiring going to the dash. Sometimes when I move the dash wires a little bit the gauges will start working again
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Jeep Mechanic should know about your Jeep?
Customer: That's all I can think of
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 8 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service.

Since moving the wires makes the issue come and go you have confirmed this is the failure area. A damaged wire or a connector or pin making poor contact. Expose the back of the cluster and back probe the connectors to it to see if its losing power or ground when doing this wiggle test. That will help us know which wire to chase or if it not a wire but a connector issue. Below is the diagram I am using.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/96IC.pdf

Violet and black/white are the powers.

Black and black/orange are the grounds.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On your screen you should see a rating 1-5 stars. Please make sure to select one. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.

Thanks Chris

Hello again Chris here,

1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.

2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.

3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.

4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help.

Thanks Chris