Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Lerado problem. Problem: Jeep cuts

Customer Question

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Lerado problem.
Problem: Jeep cuts out intermittently.
History: Problem has been going on for awhile now. Jeep would cut out during travel. At first it was only when I came to a stop or slowed down to go over a speed bump. Eventually, it started to cut out while driving. At one point it stalled out and I had to get a jump to get it started again. Did the basics, new plugs & wires, changed out IAC valve. Did more advanced, new fuel pump, swapped out fuel pump relay. Also installed new battery. Also read about cam shaft sensors and ignition switches but starting to get out of my realm of knowledge here. After the pump and battery, it runs more reliable but will still has a problem. Thinking it may be electrical.
Currently: Will start fine. Seems to cut out more frequently while putting it into reverse, which could just be coincidence. Other times will start fine for first start up but then given trouble when starting up again later after traveling.
I can preform most jobs. I refer to video and articles to help me through things I am not familiar with. Problem now is that I'm running out of options and looking for more experienced thinking to solve this mystery. The fact that there isn't any Check Engine light problem makes this a guessing game.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer. Have you ever replaced the crankshaft position sensor?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
As I stated, doing that and the ignition switch were the last things on my list. Looking for other possibilities not covered.
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.
Oh, I did not see that in the original question, just that you replaced the camshaft position sensor. When you replaced the camshaft position sensor, and the crankshaft position sensor, did you use OEM Mopar sensors or aftermarket ones?Chris
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, sir. As I said, these were last on my list....the cam & crank sensors and ignition. All these solutions I found online with video instructions. What I was hoping for was perhaps a way of determining what the exact problem is without having to go through with replacing each of these items. I read about troubleshooting these items but lack certain tools to test them, so I would just replace them. Hoping for some tricks or tips that would pinpoint the problem from someone who has dealt with this issue before. If there is any info along these line that you can offer, that would be great. If not, no worries. I'll just finish up with the list and maybe come back once I've exhausted my options.
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.

Ok, try this: Since you do not have the scan tool, try to get your Jeep to an auto parts store like AutoZone and ask them to connect their scan tool to your vehicle and check for any trouble codes. If there is a code for "loss of crank sensor signal or cam shaft sensor signal" then have the appropriate sensor replaced. If there are no codes at all, then suspect a failing PCM and have it replaced. Most auto parts stores will connect their scan tool for no charge to you.

Hope this information helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this.

Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.
Good morning! Just checking back to see if you need further assistance with your Jeep. Let me know. I am here to help you if you still need mee.Chris