Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 2007 jeep Compass, after driving less than a mile I

Customer Question

I have a 2007 jeep Compass, after driving less than a mile I suddenly had the temperature transmission light come on and the engine warning light followed by losing drive. Warning lights are constantly on even after leaving over night and transmission not driving.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: was hoping to.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Jeep Mechanic should know about your Jeep?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The lights coming on indicate a fault has been detected by the engine/transmission computer with one or more components in the transmission itself.This may be the transmission fluid temp sensor at fault or a solenoid or another sensor at fault.

What has to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out and diagnosed by a dealer or repair facility that has the correct scan tool to do this and the correct test equipment to repair this here.Since there is a large number of different possible causes for this here unfortunately this does have to be checked with a scan tool as a starting point here.

In some cases you can get the fault codes read out free of charge by a local parts store like Auto Zone.They will not be able to diagnose the fault but they can read the codes and give a general area or idea of the fault here for sure.I suspect the temp sensor or another sensor at fault in the transmission needing replaced but I wouldnt rule out any mechanical issues as well needing repaired.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The fault codes are U0101 and U0402
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Code U0101 indicate a fault with lost communications with the transmission computer.This can be an issue with the transmission computer itself needing replaced or a wiring fault leading to or at the computer needing repaired or replaced.This will have to be checked into/tested further to locate the cause and then repaired from there.

Code U0402 indicate a fault with implausible data from the transmission control module.

Both of these are related and will cause the symptoms and lights here.I suspect your TCM has most likely failed needing replaced (transmission control module).

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If I buy a second hand transmission module would it have to be re-programmed?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Wher is the TCG module located
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

I apologize for the delay as I had to run out yesterday and couldnt get back here.

Can you tell me what liter engine is in this model here so I can look up the info on its location and if any programming is needed?