Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2001 jeep cherokee crank no start and not throwing any codes

Customer Question

2001 jeep cherokee crank no start and not throwing any codes when it was tested...was running fine then started stalling, would start back up, now nothing
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: they tell me its not getting any spark
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Jeep Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Does the check engine light come on with the key on? Do you hear the fuel pump prime when turning the key on and cranking?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No engine light on and I yes on the fuel pump
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

Ok, what size engine do you have? Does the ignition coil have power while cranking?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's a 4.0 and idk about the ignition coil
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

Ok, the most common cause of a no spark condition on this vehicle is a bad camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensors and or bad ignition coil.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
none of them 3 will throw a code, cause I had it scanned and nothing came up and I've replaced the crankshaft position sensor not long ago
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

They may or may not flag a code in the computer. It all depends on how they go bad. YES, it is possible that they could go bad preventing the wengine from starting and not even set a code. That is why it is important to run some tests/checks before replacing any of them. Again, I would start by checking for power at the ignition coil while cranking the engine over.

Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.