Jeep Service
Jeep Service, Jeep Owner
Experience:  14 years with AMC/Jeep Specializing with pre-1994 Jeep products.
14892859

I HAVE A VERY LOUD MECHANICAL WHIRRING NOISE COMING FROM THE

Customer Question

HI ...I HAVE A VERY LOUD MECHANICAL WHIRRING NOISE COMING FROM THE FRONT DIFF AREA THAT GETS LOUDER ON ACCELERATION...WOULD CHANGING THE WHOLE FRONT DIFF SOLVE THE PROBLEM?
JA: My old Jeep sounds like a steam radiator sometimes. It must be old age. The Jeep Mechanic will know what your noise means and what to do about it. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: ITS A VERY LOUD MECHANICAL WHIRRING ...HAVE CHANGED THE TRANSFER CASE AND GEARBOX TO NO AVAIL...ALSO THE FRONT PROPSHAFT IS MISSING ...WOULD CHANGING THE FRONT DIFF AND PUTTING IN A FRONT PROPSHAFT SOLVE THE PROBLEM?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: NO..GOT A MECHANIC ON STANDBY
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Jeep Mechanic should know about your Jeep?
Customer: NOT REALLY
JA: Our top Jeep Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Jeep Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Jeep Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jeep Service replied 8 months ago.

Hello. Welcome ot Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The best advice I can give you here is to get a better indication of where the noise is coming form exactly. A good mechanic armed with a mechanic's stethoscope will be able to pinpoint this noise when it is raise up on a hoist, in gear, running, in 4WD. However, to answer your question, my initial feeling is no, replacement of the differential may not be the issue. You may have differential 'carrier bearings' that are worn or faulty, or a pinion bearing that is worn or faulty. If the mechanic checks the noise, and it is not prominent at the u-joint yoke area on the differential, and, the noise is louder on the side of the diff case, you probably have carrier bearing issues. This is easily rectified by pulling the differential unit out ans replacing the carrier bearings. If you replace the diff, and re-use the carrier bearings, you may still have the same noise. Faulty or worn carrier bearings are easily seen; and can he heard if you remove them and spin them by hand. If they make noises whilst spinning, they are bad. Good carrier bearings are almost silent when they spin.

Please confirm that you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.